After exploring the Core Competencies through picture books, students imagined themselves as trees and created “personality trees” that represented various aspects of their personality. The activity offered students a concrete way of exploring their identity. The teacher provided the following outline:
- Roots: background and beliefs
- Trunk: family structure
- Branches: relationships and connections; interests
- Leaves: knowledge
- Buds: ideas and hopes for the future
- Fruits: achievements
- Flowers: what makes them special; strengths
- Thorns: challenges and difficulties
I can describe different aspects of my identity.
I can identify my individual characteristics and explain what interests me. I can describe different groups that I belong to.