About the Assessment
The Grade 10 Literacy Assessment is a provincial assessment that assesses student proficiency in literacy. It is a graduation requirement and students take the assessment in their Grade 10 year.
The Grade 10 Literacy Assessment assesses student ability to use critical thinking and analysis to make meaning from a diverse array of texts. It also assesses the ability of students to communicate their ideas. The Grade 10 Literacy Assessment is not based on a particular course, but on learning across multiple subjects, from kindergarten to Grade 10.
Last updated: January 22, 2021
On this page:
The Grade 10 Literacy Assessment is delivered online in three parts.
- Part A
- Students read several different types of texts, e.g. blogs, infographics, newspaper or magazine articles, social media feeds, and stories. Students demonstrate that they can analyze and make meaning from the texts by answering a series of selected-response questions. They then provide written responses to communicate their understanding.
- Part B
- Students choose one of two options. After choosing one option, students read a new set of texts. Students demonstrate that they can analyze and make meaning of the texts by answering selected-response questions. They then provide written responses to communicate personal connections.
- These questions ask students to reflect on their experience with the assessment. This component is not marked.
The following video series will help students understand the structure of the assessment and the types of responses expected. The videos are intended to be watched before taking the assessment.
Introduction and Essential Question
Sample Grade 10 Literacy Assessment
The best way to learn about the Grade 10 Literacy Assessment is to work through the online or printable sample(s) and review the scoring guide(s), student exemplars, and specifications documents below.
- Online Sample–Grade 10 Literacy Assessment
- Grade 10 Literacy Assessment: Sample A (PDF)
- Grade 10 Literacy Assessment: Sample A Key, Rubrics and Scoring Guide (PDF)
- Grade 10 Literacy Assessment: Sample B (PDF)
- Grade 10 Literacy Assessment: Sample B Key, Rubrics and Scoring Guide (PDF)
- Student Exemplars Sample (PDF) (June 2019)
Assessment Design Specifications
Information for Administrators
- Administration Guide (PDF) (October 2019)
More resources will be posted as they become available.
- Cross Curricular Nature of Grade 10 Literacy Assessment (PDF) (June 2019)
- Advisory Group on Provincial Assessment Final Report (PDF) (Sept 2015)